Vision for Exeter’s future open for input
Exeter City Council has put its vision for the city centre out for consultation, which includes relocating car parks, creating a new place on the river and improved ‘gateways’ to the city.
The City Centre Vision has already received support from Exeter City Councillors.
Headlines in the document, which is not a final blueprint, include:
- An improved space at the junction of Paris Street and Sidwell Street as part of a wider redevelopment of the bus station site
- Transforming North Street and Paul Street into pedestrianised areas by refurbishing the junction of the Guildhall and Harlequins Shopping Centres. In turn, this could mean the removal and relocation of the majority of car parking within the city walls and the creation of facades to key street elevations.
- A new place on the river in addition to Exeter’ popular and historic Quay. Situated around today’s traffic-dominated Exe Bridges, the new place would create a mixed urban development and provide attractive links between the city centre, riverside and areas west of the river that are attractive to pedestrians. One of the ideas is to provide a new pedestrian and cycle bridge.
- New and improved gateways to the city centre. This includes a pedestrianised tree-lined square at St David’s Station and a pedestrian-friendly junction at Western Way.
There will be two open roadshow events, on Friday, July 8 and Saturday, July 9 in Bedford Square, followed by a Community Forum at the Corn Exchange on Wednesday 13 at 7pm.
All three events are open to the public. People can also express their views via the website or in writing to: Exeter City Centre Vision, FREEPOST EX523, Exeter City Council, Paris Street, EX1 1AZ.
The consultation will run until Wednesday, July 29 and the results will be reported to the Council’s Executive Committee in September.
Latest posts by the Devon Week (see all)
- Two Fun Rubbish Clearance Activity Projects To Do With the Kids - October 19, 2017
- The essence of boundaries explored in Vessel atBirdwood House Gallery, Totnes - September 12, 2017
- Grand designs contest to find best bijou bat box - September 12, 2017