Seven from Devon: 7 stories from around Devon today (Mon, April 30)
1. Cannabis farms on the up
Devon and Cornwall was home to the highest rise in the number of cannabis farms since 2009/10, says the BBC. The increase from 11 to 183 was the equivalent of a 1,664% rise.
2. Plymouth elections loom
One-third of Plymouth’s 57 councillors in 19 out of 20 wards are to be elected on Thursday, May 3. The ruling Conservatives are predicted to suffer, says thisisplymouth, while Labour is proposing ideas for creating a co-operative city.
3. New material could ‘revolutionise the electronics industry’
A new material produced by the University of Exeter’s Centre for Graphene Science could ‘revolutionise the electronics industry’ according to its creators, on thisisexeter. Called GraphExeter, the material is the most transparent, lightweight and flexible material ever for conducting electricity..
4. Weather disruption.
Heavy wind and rain has swept across the region, with the Highways Agency reporting more than 140-tree-falls in Devon, according to the BBC.
5. Scheme to back young people in Torridge
Some £30,000 of funding from Torridge District Council is to help provide opportunities for young people in the area, says Devon 24. The pilot scheme, which offers up to £5,000 to people aged between 11-19 year olds could benefit sports events, equipment for youth clubs, organising a community event or attending training courses or workshops.
6. Dogs attack cows in Exeter field
A dog attacked two cows in an Exeter field, leaving them with facial injuries, according to the BBC
7. Plymouth retailer rises in rich list
Plymouth’s Chris Dawson, owner and founder of The Range retail chain has risen 24 to 230 places on the Sunday Times Rich List after a £76m year, which saw his worth increase to £380m, according to thisisplymouth
Latest posts by the Devon Week (see all)
- Torquay to welcome P1 AquaX jet ski riders for opening race event of the season - March 15, 2018
- Brain Awareness Week to bring neuroscience to the masses - March 5, 2018
- Councillors call for unity and action over North Devon’s toxic timebomb - January 29, 2018