10 stories from around Devon to help get your week off to a flying start.
1. Plympton has a new library (thisisPlymouth)
Plympton has waiting three-and-half years for a new library after the old one burned down in the sumer of 2008
2. Occupy Exeter looks ready to leave Cathedral Green (BBC)
Exeter’s Occupy campaign against global greed are clearing away their tents at Exeter’s Cathedral Green. They say they have found new site north of Exeter
3. Efford’s Nowhereisland animation to be premiered at Plymouth Arts Centre (D&CFilm)
An animated film about the Cultural Olympiad scheme Nowhereisland by Efford-based arts project Take A Part will premiere at the Plymouth Arts Centre
4. Bums on new, comfy seats at The Bike Shed Theatre, Exeter (People’s Republic of South Devon)
There’s a new comfier experience for theatre goers at Exeter’s Bike Shed Theatre
5. Do we really want our city to become a centre for waste? (thisisPlymouth)
Robin Hogg, chairman of the CPRE for Plymouth and the South Hams, says no to waste plants.
6. David Cameron in Plymouth enterprise zone gaffe (BBC)
Prime Minister David Cameron mistakenly attributes an enterprise zone to Plymouth – but the government rejected Plymouth’s bid for enterprise zone status last August
7. Lorry overturns and spills molasses on A361 near Tiverton (thisisExeter)
An articulated tanker carrying 20 tonnes of molasses tipped over on the A361 at Bolham roundabout in North Devon.
8. Torquay’s Other History: Moral pollution needs a solution (People’s Republic of South Devon)
There was moral panic on the streets in the early 70s, with one reverend in Torquay comparing social permissiveness to the Battle of Britain
9. Devon-based artist Helen Snell in Wolverhampton Art Gallery’s The Joy of Making exhibition (ArtsCulture)
Helen Snell imbues her work with a sense of creativity, individuality, fun and craft. An ideal participant of Wolverhampton Art Gallery’s The Joy of Making
10. Reforms a crucial ‘improvement’ for NHS, claim Tories (thisisPlymouth)
Plymouth Labour MP Alison Seabeck said it is “deeply worrying” the Coalition is “ploughing on regardless” of opposition to its much maligned health bill
- Giving blood still needed in all tiers - December 31, 2020
- Pop-up choir a blessing at Northam church’s Covid-safe Christmas Eve service - December 30, 2020
- Meet Bobby and Dizzy the donkeys at Springfield farm’s Christmas event - December 16, 2020